What is a WiFi QR Code?
A WiFi QR code is a unique code that comprises your WiFi login details, allowing users to quickly and easily connect to your WiFi network. By scanning the WiFi QR code, users can avoid the tedious process of manually searching for and entering the network’s sign-in credentials.
How do I create a WiFi QR Code?
1. To create a QR Code for WiFi, start by entering the name of your network in the designated field. Ensure that the name you input is an exact match with the name on your router.
2. Next, input the case-sensitive password for your WiFi network and indicate the security protocol you have selected for it. If the network does not have a password, you may leave the field blank.
3. Click on Generate QR Code button.
Is it safe to share a WiFi QR code with users?
Sharing a WiFi QR code with users is akin to sharing the WiFi’s SSID and password. If you have an open WiFi network and want to provide complimentary WiFi to your users, a WiFi QR code is an excellent option. However, if you only want to share WiFi credentials with a select few individuals (such as employees), it’s advisable to store the WiFi QR code in a secure location. Alternatively, you can exclude the password from the WiFi QR code, requiring users to enter the password manually to connect to the network.
What information is stored in a WiFi QR Code?
If properly configured, your QR Code reader can scan and recognize the WiFi QR code, regardless of the sequence. The correct configuration is as follows: WIFI:T:WPA;S:MyNetworkName;P:ThisIsMyPassword;;
|T||WPA||Authentication type; can be WEP or WPA, or leave empty for no password.|
|S||MyNetworkName||Network SSID. Required.|
|P||ThisIsMyPassword||Password, ignored if T is left blank.|
|H||true||Optional. True if the network SSID is hidden.|
Here are the supported QR code scanners for Android and iOS:
- The Android Camera App supports WiFi QR codes from Android 10 onwards.
- ZXing’s Barcode Scanner.
- Xiaomi, Oppo and Realme phones have a built-in QR code scanner in HiVision mode, which can be accessed by swiping up from the lock screen or by launching it from the camera.
- Any other Android Barcode Scanner that’s based on the ZXing library.
- The iOS Camera App supports WiFi QR codes from iOS 11 onwards.
- QR Reader for iPhone from TapMedia and Avira Insight QR Code Scanner by Avira Holding GmbH & Co. KG also support WiFi QR codes. Please note that third-party apps cannot directly modify WiFi settings on iOS, so you’ll have to manually copy and paste the details.